Thursday, November 4, 2010

The Return of Cagney and Lacey

Yesterday I had breakfast with a dear friend that I had not seen in a long time.  I will call her "Shmodi".  I am not sure exactly why we lost touch, but I know that in the 8 or so years since I have seen her last, I have missed her and her family SO MUCH.  Sometimes I would think of a funny story, or watch one of the movies or TV shows that we endlessly quoted and want to pick up the phone and call her.  Don't ask me why I did not.

That is the thing about "Shmodi".  We could laugh about the most random, crazy things.  Maybe it was the strange place and really strange people we worked with, but we could take a not so funny situation and make it something to laugh at. Even a lunch run to McDonald's was fun, when we would take her convertible "bug" and we would wrap scarves around our heads and wear sunglasses a la "Thelma and Louise" or "Romy and Michelle".  Boy how those scarves dressed up our drab uniforms.

The 80's TV show "Cagney and Lacey" was really our thing.  Both of us can do some amazing impressions of these women.  Watching the intro makes me laugh so hard because it is so us.  Well except we don't look like these women, we are not cops, we are not from New York, and neither of us is married to a guy named Harve.  But it so us none the less.

So "Shmodi"  this is for you.  You are an amazing friend.



No comments:

Post a Comment